Taken from official COP/CMP7 site:
- Don’t carry a camera openly in the city. Please take care when using your camera, as this will identify you as a tourist and could draw unnecessary attention.
- Avoid wearing jewellery and expensive watches.
- If you are accosted, remain calm and be co-operative.
- Be extra-careful when drawing money from a bank machine [ATM]
When on foot:
- Carry your handbag across your body.
- Do not carry an excessive amount of cash on you.
- Do not leave valuables exposed (on a seat or the ground) while having a meal or drink.
- Do not let strangers get too close to you – especially people in groups.
On the road:
- Lock all your car doors.
- Never leave anything worth stealing in view when your car is unattended.
On the beach:
- Take only the bare essentials.
- Do not leave valuables, especially cameras, unattended.
- Safeguard car keys by pinning them to your swimming gear, or putting them in a waterproof wallet or splash box and taking them into the water with you.
Police and Flying Squad: 10111
Metro Police: 031 361 0000
Netcare Medical Response: 082 911
EMRS Medical Response: 10177